- Written by Super User
- Category: Uncategorised
- Hits: 5376
Spanish American Institute (SAI)
Scholarship Process for UMC Latino Youth
Guidance in following the Scholarship Application Process:
- Read Scholarship process instructions before filling in Scholarship Application form.
- To apply online and have your application packet submitted automatically, you must have all required documents: two Letters of Recommendation and the 500 Word Essay, available. If you do have the required documents, complete the Scholarship Application form below and click APPLY NOW.
Purpose: To provide financial assistance to deserving Latino students pursuing a 2-year or 4-year degree or attending a vocational program who are active members of a local CalPac United Methodist Church (UMC) in Southern California.
The 2022 scholarship dates include the following:
|Applications available||Feb 1, 2023|
|Deadline for submitting applications||April 30, 2023|
|Scholarship award recipients selected||May 13, 2023|
|Scholarship award recipients notified||May 20, 2023|
|Award presentation at CalPac Conference||Mid-June, 2023|
In order to apply for the UMC Latino Youth SAI Scholarship, applicants must satisfy the following criteria:
- Be a person of Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, Central or South American, or other Spanish culture or origin, regardless of race.
- Be an active member of a CalPac local UMC for a minimum of one year.
- Submit at least one letter of recommendation from the Pastor or church leader.
- Attending or will attend an accredited 2-year community college, 4 year college or university or vocational program in the next academic school year.
- Full-time enrollment (minimum 12 units per semester) in a regular degree program is required.
- A minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.5 in high school and/or college is preferred.
- Complete the SAI application process.
- Scholarship applicants do not need to be US citizens. Permanent residents or undocumented students will be considered.
- Graduate and PhD candidates are not eligible for SAI scholarships.
- An individual may receive only one SAI scholarship.
- Scholarship recipients give SAI permission to publish their name and photo for the purpose of promoting the SAI scholarship program.
Complete and submit the SAI application, write a 500-word essay, and submit two letters of recommendation (one must be from applicant’s pastor or church leader). All these required documents must be emailed by deadline date
The following documents must be available upon request:
- Copies of official high school and/or college transcripts
- A FAFSA report or Income Tax documents
Guidance on Documents Requested
Applicant must complete a 500-word essay on such topics as background, life obstacles, role models, interests, short and long term goals, need for award, and indicate how he/she identifies with the Latino culture.
Letters of Recommendation
At least one letter of recommendation must come from the Pastor or Church Leader. Other letters of recommendations can be from teachers, coaches, community members, employers, and even family members who will attest to the applicant’s character, passion, drive, potential and accomplishments to date.
If the applicant is a high school student, applicant should have all available school transcripts starting with the ninth grade. If the high school student has taken college courses, then it is recommended that s/he obtain transcripts for the college work, also.
If unable to file FAFSA application, please have income tax documents available to submit upon request.
A completed application and required documents must be received by the deadline date
An email will be sent to those who will receive a scholarship giving them the amount and informing them of the next steps to receive the scholarship. Recipients will have 12 months to provide proof of enrollment or the scholarship award will be withdrawn. The scholarship withdrawal date can be extended an additional 6 months for extenuating circumstances if a written request is received one month before the withdrawal date.
Sending the Checks
Once proof of college enrollment for the fall semester is received by SAI, a check will be sent to the school where the student is attending.
A database of all recipients will be kept to include name, contact information (address, cell, home phone, email address), date scholarship received, school attended, and amount of scholarship, in order for SAI to follow up in the future.