SAI is proud to offer scholarships to young Latinos seeking higher education. With the help of our Community College Partnership and the United Methodist Church of Southern California, every year SAI provides scholarships to those students.
SAI has granted over $160,000 in scholarships to over 260 students between 2008 and 2018. Since SAI has been giving scholarships since the 1970’s, over $1M of scholarships have been awarded.
Our Scholarship Partnerships
SAI’s scholarship program consists of multiple types of Scholarship Programs.
Community College Partnership Program:
SAI partners with five Southern Californian Community Colleges to provide $500 dollar scholarships.Students have to:
- • be attending a partnered community College
- • be a full time student living in Southern California
- • be a Latino or identify with the Latino Culture
Students of the following partnered community Colleges should contact their Community College Foundation to learn more about the SAI application process.
College of the Canyons Scholarship Program:
Our partnership with the College of the Canyons is aimed toward:
- • Students who have completed their non-credit program
- • Students who are entering into the CoC credited programs for a minimum of six units in any major
Contact the College of Canyons Foundation to learn more about the SAI application process.
SAI/UMC Latino Youth Scholarship Program
Given SAI’s history with the United Methodist Church of Southern California, the Spanish American Institute provides scholarships every year.
Students must be:
- • planning to enroll in a 2 to 4 year College or vocational program
- • living in Southern California
- • active members of a local UMC for the minimum of a year
- • a Latino or identify with the Latino Culture
How to apply for a SAI/UMC Scholarship
To apply for a scholarship, fill out the online application or download the application and provide a letter of recommendation from your UMC pastor or youth leader. Applying for this scholarship will begin in February 2019. Submission of application and all required documents is due by the end of April. Recipients will be notified by the end of May. Recognition of scholarship awards will occur at the CalPac UMC Annual Conference in June at the University of Redlands.